Sunday, November 29, 2009

Cafe at Arles? Could be but this is Cafe Terra Nova in Oaxaca Zocalo.




This setting on the Zocalo in Oaxaca reminded me of Vincent Van Gogh's beautiful night painting, "Cafe at Arles." Most historical Mexican cities and towns have a central plaza which is the center of social life. Most american cities don't have anything like it. This particular cafe, "Terra Nova," has a bit of modern myth about it. It is rumored to be owned by the mistress of the controversial governor of Oaxaca, Ulises Ruiz. The mini revolution in Oaxaca a couple of years ago dominated by APPO was initially about teachers salaries and morphed into an effort to unseat him. I think that's how it's interpreted.


3 comments:

Was Once said...

Great Photo!

Unknown said...

I wintered in Oaxaca from 1986 till 1993 -- the best years of my life. Spent many the hour, even the whole day seated opposite "Terra Nova" (used to be "Guelaguetza" I think)on the other side of the Zocalo at famed "Bar Jardin" or "Los Portales".
What heady days with friends of all nations passing, sitting, talking, drinking. Whish I were back in Oaxaca now...
Ken K.

Anonymous said...

I am reading John D. MacDonald's novel, "Dress Her in Indigo," which is set partly in Oaxaca. Your photo captures perfectly the way he paints the setting.
TJ Pierce